The buildings of the former regional postal service were built between 1883 and 1887. They span a length of 300 meters between the streets Gorch-Fock-Wall, Dammtorwall, Dammtorstraße and Jungiusstraße. Universität Hamburg uses the western section of the building, which is adjacent to Stephansplatz and Gänsemarkt.
Hamburg Dammtor station and the State and University Library Carl von Ossietzky are within walking distance. The historical Planten un Blomen park, which encircles the former ramparts and the old botanical garden of the University, is on the opposite side of the street.